Long Beach, CA
Job Title: Teaching Artist
Reports to: Program Coordinator
Compensation: Per program, dependent on experience
Employment basis: Part Time employee on a per project basis
ABOUT DRAMATIC RESULTS
Dramatic Results is an award-winning, non-profit, agency based in Long Beach, California whose mission has been to solve educational challenges through the arts since 1992. Dramatic Results specializes in arts integrated, project-based, curricula that is aligned to State and National Standards.
Dramatic Results is looking for Teaching Artists to begin Fall 2018 that are both centered in strong artistic practice (theatre, visual art, folk art, music, media, dance) and able to integrate STEM and art knowledge to share with students and community members. Successful candidates should have established classroom management and curriculum development skills specific to Title 1 schools and be comfortable training and/or coaching classroom teachers. Successful candidates should be flexible and versatile, willing to pivot their teaching and plans as needed.
- Provide instruction for primary/secondary students and teachers on public school campuses, including Title 1 schools, as well as libraries, community centers, on site at Dramatic Results, and other various locations.
- Nurture and maintain professional and positive relationships with classroom teachers.
- Strong classroom management skills is key.
- Develop and facilitate Professional Development workshops for classroom teachers, administrators, and community members and provide and receive feedback.
- Demonstrate mastery of the skills, knowledge and practices of your art form through original lessons, making relevant connections to classroom STEM curricula, and be willing to adapt and implement existing curricula in a creative way.
- Ability to train classroom teachers in arts integration strategies using the art form.
- Arrive on campus at least 15 minutes prior to class presentation to check in with school site personnel.
- Be accountable for paperwork as required by program administration.
- Organize all materials for each lesson ahead of time and transport all materials to and from school for individual programs.
- Demonstrate a high level of emotional intelligence when communicating with both students and adults.
- Adjust presentations to adapt to different learning abilities.
- Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively within a team as well as independently.
- Maintain a positive ‘can do’ attitude; Be proactive, flexible, and show initiative with projects, planning, and all activities related to this position.
- Demonstrate a Growth Mindset as an ability to take risks and continually learn.
- Openness to be trained to incorporate DR teaching strategies.
- Practice strong organizational and time management skills.
- Willingness to facilitate established DR curriculum as needed.
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in education, art, music, theatre, dance, media arts, or related field.
- Have an active artistic practice.
- Have experience implementing arts-based curriculum to children in a structured learning environment (K-5 especially).
- Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Be comfortable using basic office computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs, and Apps.
- Spanish, Mandarin, and/or Khmer speaker a plus.
- Must have a car to travel to and from office site and various school sites and districts, including but not limited to: Long Beach.
- Must have a cell phone available for use during work hours.
- Ability to manage your own budget for each program.
- Must be able to pass a LiveScan and provide results from a TB test.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICATION
- Submit your application to [email protected] and include a cover letter, resume, and two references. Examples or portfolio of student art and video clip of teaching is highly
- To learn more about Dramatic Results visit the website at dramaticresults.org