Center for the Arts Eagle Rock
Imagine Studio: Afterschool Arts Program
Eagle Rock, CA
Position Title: Teaching Artist Instructor (TAI) & Teaching Artist Assistant (TA)
Status: Part-time, Independent Contractor position; one-hour session after-school, one day per week for 10 weeks; multiple classroom positions available
Start Date: February 2016 for 10 weeks
Stipend: $400 + $50 one time research grant for Teaching Artist Instructors; $200 Teaching Assistant
- Two years teaching art to youths of elementary and middle school age
- One year preparing, age-appropriate curriculum in-line with stated VAPA Standards
- Innovative curriculum samples of visual arts projects that demonstrate an understanding of VAPA standards
- An imaginative approach to teaching art to students
- The ability to manage a classroom of up to 20 students
- Live Scan certification and TB clearance
- Reliable transportation
- Experience in low-income communities
- Degree from an accredited institution
- Familiarity with and experience teaching within LAUSD system
Teaching Artist Instructors will lead weekly art classes for Imagine Studio's youth participants in elementary and middle schools in Northeast Los Angeles, many with Title 1 status. Flexibility and creativity are central to this position as well as the ability to create visual arts projects that can be produced within the one-hour time frame of the class each week. In addition to assisting Teaching Artists Instructors with classroom set up and project management, Teaching Assistants are tasked with documenting weekly classroom projects through photography and video. Both Teaching Artist Instructors and Teaching Assistants are required to complete a training session and end of semester recap and evaluation survey.
Proposed Curriculum should:
- Engage students to learn new art techniques, methods, and creating art as a form of self-expression and confidence building.
- Assist students in refining their skills for drawing, painting, mixed media and other art-making methods.
- Teach students a new set of arts vocabulary, as well as enhance their current of art when learning about different colors, shapes, and images.
- Teach students to identify various art forms and techniques, and describe their differences. The students will follow directions, and will have the platform to invent using their art tools.
- Present art projects that are consistent with VAPA Standards
- Encourage students to connect with their imagination and discover their individual creative points of view
About Center for the Arts Eagle Rock:
The mission of Center for the Arts Eagle Rock (CFAER) is to be innovative in providing multidisciplinary, arts-inclusive programming and arts education to the diverse communities of northeast Los Angeles and beyond.
Imagine Studio, our signature afterschool arts enrichment program, is offered free to elementary and middle schools throughout Northeast Los Angeles, many with Title 1 status. By bringing the arts back to LAUSD, we are investing in our youth and our community. All of our teaching artist instructors build their classes into a small community, where freedom of expression feels safe and positive. Our classes are highly student-motivated and project-oriented.
Please send resume, curriculum sample, references, and brief cover letter to:
Erika Sorondo, Director of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: “Imagine Studio Teaching Artist” or “Imagine Studio Teaching Artist Assistant”