Meet The Music - Grand Vision Foundation
San Pedro, CA
Meet the Music (MTM) - Teaching Artist Position
Grand Vision Foundation is a non-profit community arts and education organization. We
produce live concerts, film screenings, performances and educational events at the historic
Warner Grand Theatre, a 1,500 seat art deco movie palace and the Grand Annex, a 150-seat
music listening room in the San Pedro Arts District.
Since 2009, Grand Vision Foundation’s Meet the Music programming (MTM) has provided
music education opportunities to Title I elementary schools in the LA Harbor area. We are hiring
a Teaching Artist (independent contractor) to lead our Recorders in Schools program for fifth
graders in local Title I schools in San Pedro and Wilmington this fall.
Recorders in Schools in comprised of 24 weekly in-school lessons per classroom, focusing on
recorder playing technique, beginning music notation and ensemble performance, culminating
with student recitals. Our curriculum is enhanced by opportunities for students to improvise and
lesson plans that connect to core curriculum.
The teaching artist would be hired immediately, training would begin in late August, and the
position would begin in early September. Candidates must have two to four days available
during school hours.
- A curious, creative, dedicated and outgoing personality required.
- A knowledge of progressive teaching practices and arts education required.
- Professional wind instrument and/or choral direction experience required.
- 3-5 years of experience as a high-level Teaching Artist required; formal Teaching
- Artist training preferred; experience leading large groups of elementary students
- Experience in Orff Schulwerk or Kodaly method preferred.
- Reliable transportation and a valid CA driver’s license is required. Contractor must
- carry his/her own car insurance.
- Spanish fluency preferred.
how to apply
Please email PDF attachments (with your name in the title) of your resume and a short cover
letter explaining why your experience and qualifications match this position,
to [email protected] with the subject line: MTM Teaching Artist. No phone calls please.
Please familiarize yourself with the program before applying
at http://www.grandvision.org/education. Pay commensurate with experience.