Los Angeles based nonprofit organization in search of an experienced teaching artist to work with youth. If you are an extremely talented rapper, performer, and/or poet with a passion for youth empowerment and an interest in social activism, please send us a resume and cover letter.
What will you be doing?
• Attending and overseeing all performance troupe rehearsals
• Organizing, directing, and attending all performances that have been assigned
• Assisting in scheduling youth poets for performances in schools and for community shows
• Assuming ultimate responsibility for all youth shows and events
• One-on-one mentoring sessions with all youth poets
• Providing am exemplary role model and a safe space for youth poets to grow and develop as individuals
• Being the liaison between organization and community leaders in an manner that maximizes continuing opportunities
• Helping the staff to plan and produce annual organizational events
• Coordinating and, as necessary, assisting teachers in producing the in-school slam competitions
• Visiting schools, as necessary, to provide assistance in writing and performance techniques for students
• Overseeing and producing a monthly youth performance feature
• Minimum of Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience required
• Minimum of 2-3 years experience working with youth as an educator
• Minimum of 2-3 years experience working in a professional setting
• Knowledge of and an interest in literature and poetry
• Highly organized, self-disciplined, and able to set and meet goals and deadlines.
• Strong multitasking and problem solving skills, with the ability to maintain composure in a fast-paced environment
• Demonstrated success as a team player
• Able to interface equally well with the Board of Directors, executive staff, and youth participants.
• Available for special events & flexible with work hours, to be available as needed within a 40 hour week
Position reports to Operations Manager and is a full time, exempt. May include some evenings and weekends. Requires livescan and background check.
We are an equal opportunity employer offering competitive salary.
Please send resume and cover to email@example.com