The Unusual Suspects
Los Angeles, CA
The Unusual Suspects Theatre Company’s mission is to mentor, educate, and enrich underserved youth through the creation of collaborative, original theatre. Our vision is a world where all youth are given the opportunities and support they need to succeed. Our expert team of Teaching Artists provide vulnerable adolescents with a voice that is heard and respected, which results in deep, tangible social and emotional growth, including increased confidence and an overall feeling of pride and empowerment.
The Unusual Suspects Theatre Company is seeking a Technical Coordinator to implement all technical and creative aspects of our youth theatre programs. Reporting to the Program Manager, the Technical Coordinator (TC) provides and oversees all technical and creative audio and set design aspects of Page Plays and performances, which include but are not limited to: lights, audio design, multimedia, chairs, cables, stands, furniture, set pieces, props. The TC is responsible for communication and coordination of technical production. The TC will evaluate and assess the technical needs of the artistic team and determine how to best accomplish all production related requirements. Other requirements include but are not limited to:
1. Mentor youth in using their technical creativity to develop design elements for the production.
2. Review script and create a rough design proposal to present to the artistic team.
3. Program light, sound, and visual cues for all performances into ETC and QLab softwares.
- Construct set, build props, and hang lights with assistance from youth participants and volunteers.
- Visit storage at least 2 weeks before performance to organize, maintain and keep an updated __inventory of all equipment in storage space.
6. Attend production meetings and all tech rehearsals in the weeks prior to each performance.
7. Work within the expense budget outlined by the organization.
8. Load in and out all lights, set pieces, props and equipment for Page Plays and Performances.
9. Coordinate and supervise youth participants, interns, volunteers, and teaching artists assigned to __assist with set up or strike.
- Supervise and coordinate scheduled tasks for Technical Assistant in regards to equipment load in, set __up, and strike.
11. Continue the development and growth of US production resources. This includes but is not limited ___to: upkeep and maintenance of US technical equipment, contacting outside technical support if ___necessary, replenishment of supplies (e.g. cords, gaffers tape, light parts, tools...).
For a US Playwriting Program, the TC reads the script and creates the multimedia, light and sound effects to add production value prior to the Page Play Presentation. On the day of the Page Play, TC is required to transport all equipment from US main office to performance site using a cargo van and set up the director's chairs, projection screen, lights, pipe and drape, set pieces and sound at the performance site. After Page Play, TC will tear down and return equipment to US main office on the same day.
For a US Performance Program, the TC is expected to collaborate with US leadership and teaching team in planning and implementing technical aspects of production throughout the entire performance program, with the bulk of the work falling in the 2-3 weeks leading up to the culminating event. TC is expected to attend 2-3 workshops during the Performance Program to mentor youth on sound, lighting, props, and set design. TC is also expected to attend all production meetings, tech rehearsals, and performances. TC will lead the transportation, set up, and tear down, and of all equipment including projection screen, lights, pipe and drape, props, set pieces, and sound at the performance site.
Physical Requirements & Work Environment
- Must be able to lift heavy materials.
- Must have valid driver’s license, auto insurance and reliable transportation to travel to and from school sites and organizations in various LA communities, including but not limited to: South Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, Malibu, Lancaster, San Dimas or La Verne.
- Must pass a LiveScan background check and TB Test.
Skills & Qualifications
- At least 1 year of working experience in a similar role
- Highly skilled in technical theatre production
- Must have a working knowledge of sound and light boards including digital image design, ETC Lighting and QLab software
- Proficient computer skills, especially using Google Suite
- Ability to work with a diverse set of community-based organizations, residents and stakeholders
- Detail-oriented with excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal skills
- Direct knowledge and/or experience working with low-income populations and vulnerable youth
Salary & Schedule
This is an independent contractor position. Project payment is contingent upon full completion of project and submission of invoice and expense report with receipts. TC is not an employee of The Unusual Suspects. Project rates are as follows:
- $625 per US Playwriting Program (20-30 hours)
- $1250 per US Performance Program (45-60 hours)
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with "Technical Coordinator" in the subject line. No phone calls please. Only candidates who follow these instructions will be considered.