A Noise Within
A Noise Within, one of the nation’s leading regional theatre producers, seeks to fill the position of Technical Director (TD). A recent recipient of the Ovation Award for Best Season 17-18, A Noise Within is one of the handful of national companies that still implements true rotating repertory. The TD works closely with and reports to the Production Manager to oversee all technical elements of a 7-8 show season. This is a hands-on position that requires advanced knowledge in theatrical construction and rigging. The ideal candidate should have a strong background in technical theatre and at least four years of Technical Direction experience. This individual will ensure that all technical elements are in place and functioning for each production.
A Noise Within is an energetic, fast paced, and creative environment. Qualities and qualifications of a successful candidate:
- Degree in Technical Direction, a related field, or equivalent professional experience
- Demonstrated experience in carpentry, rigging skill, and shop/stage safety
- General knowledge of theatrical audio and lighting systems
- Demonstrated experience with complex project management including deadline management and ability to work effectively and calmly within timelines (short and long-term)
- Effective and clear written and verbal communication skills, excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to work well both independently and with others
- Pride in maintaining a clean and safe workspace
- Thrives on creative problem-solving and collaboration with artists
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds & valid driver’s license
- Evening and weekend availability required due to varying schedule
- Work at the direction of the Production Manager to oversee all technical aspects of ANW’s production process; supervises Technical Assistant and over-hire technicians; works closely with Costume Shop Manager and production run crews
- Read scale plans supplied by the scenic designers; provide supplementary plates for contracted scene shop as needed
- Act as liaison between designers and contracted scene shop
- Work directly with Scenic Designers to balance budget necessities and feasibility with design integrity
- Attend all production meetings and tech rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and previews for notes as needed
- Supervise and participate in all builds, changeovers, load-ins, and strikes
- Assist with technical requests for rentals, special events, and Noise Now events
- Hire carpenters and run crew for all ANW productions, events, and rentals
- Help troubleshoot technical problems as they arise
- Maintain and repair all show related scenery and facility/show related rigging systems
- Be proactive in creating a safe working environment; ensure fire safety, hazardous waste disposal, FR product maintenance, egress and access to extinguishers.
- Other duties as assigned
The position is full time, non-exempt, salary range $40,000-43,000 annually DOE, title Technical Director, plus a generous benefits package including paid health insurance, company-matched benefit savings plan, and paid vacation.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and list of references (3-4) to: email@example.com. Please put “TD Position – Candidate Last Name” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered. ANW prides itself on fully representing and reflecting the community on stage and in our workforce – candidates of color and diverse backgrounds strongly encouraged to apply.