Los Angeles, CA
826LA is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our services are structured around the understanding that great leaps in learning can happen with one-on-one attention, and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success. With this in mind we provide after-school tutoring, evening and weekend workshops, in-school tutoring, support for English language learners, and we produce student publications. All of our programs are offered at no cost to students and families, are challenging and enjoyable, and ultimately strengthen each student's power to express ideas effectively, creatively, confidently, and in the student’s individual voice.
About the position:
The Tutoring Programs Coordinator oversees the After-School Tutoring program, as well as the Youth Advisory Board and Parent Advisory Board based out of 826LA in Mar Vista and virtually via Zoom, and is responsible for developing, implementing, and refining after-school tutoring curriculum focused on reading, writing, and homework support for students ages 6-12. During the summer, the Tutoring Programs Coordinator co-leads 826LA’s Write On! Summer Camp in Mar Vista along with the Field Trips Programs Coordinator, and is responsible for onboarding, supervising, and offboarding a team of Summer Associates as they design and lead the camp. With the support of the Mar Vista volunteer team, the Tutoring Programs Coordinator is also responsible for training, developing, and leading teams of volunteers and interns participating in the After-School Tutoring program. Additionally, The Tutoring Programs Coordinator works closely with the Mar Vista programming team, as well as the Echo Park and In-schools programming teams, and 826LA’s development team to coordinate additional opportunities for After-School Tutoring program participants through 826LA’s other programs as well as through 826LA’s external partnerships. This position is full time, non-except, Monday through Friday, with the flexibility to work occasionally on evenings and weekends.
Compensation: Salary range is $40-45k and is commensurate with experience. Benefits include two weeks vacation, participation in 826LA’s health and dental care plan, 401K, and life insurance plan.
- Coordinates daily operations of the After-School Tutoring program in Mar Vista and virtually via Zoom for students ages 6-12, including outreach and student recruitment, application and registration processes, onboarding and offboarding program participants, Student of the Month award, and the program’s wait list
- Facilitates communication amongst the student, their teacher, and their parents or guardians in order to support the creation of educational goals for each program participant
- Coordinates Youth Advisory Board and Family Advisory Board, including recruitment and development of board members, scheduling and running board meetings, and organizing student-led events and presentations led by 826LA’s external partners
- Coordinates Write On! Summer Camp along with Field Trips Programs Coordinator, including onboarding, supervising, and offboarding a team of Summer Associates
- Coordinates volunteer participation in the After-School Tutoring program, including working with the volunteer team to ensure a strong student-to-volunteer ratio, training and developing volunteers to support students in the areas of reading, writing, and homework, and leading and managing a team of volunteers during After-School Tutoring sessions
- Facilitates mutually beneficial interactions between students of various ability levels and volunteers from a wide range of backgrounds and experience levels
- In conjunction with the volunteer team, trains and supervises After-School Tutoring program interns
- Creates and refines curriculum for the After-School Tutoring program as needed
- Oversees and ensures high quality of the writing, editing, and production of After-School Tutoring publications and coordinates book release events
- Maintains calendar, documentation, and data systems for the After-School Tutoring program and is responsible for timeliness, accuracy, and organization of all program data, including applications, attendance, and evaluations
- Coordinates additional opportunities for students through 826LA’s other programs as well as through 826LA’s external partnerships
- Provides support for other programming, operations, communications, and events as needed
- Along with other Mar Vista staff, maintains tidiness of the writing lab
- Acts as the Spanish-speaking family liaison for the Mar Vista site
- Reports directly to the Programs & Operations Manager in Mar Vista.
The ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate they have:
- A passion for writing and publication, education, and especially 826LA’s mission (required)
- Strong communication skills, including written and interpersonal, and comfort with public speaking (required)
- Classroom or team management experience (required)
- Experience working with groups of students ranging in ages 6-18 and of various ability levels (required)
- Experience working with and leading volunteers with various levels of experience and from different backgrounds (required)
- Excellent organizational skills (required)
- Ability to multitask, adapt, and solve problems creatively in a fast-paced environment (required)
- Familiarity with Google Suite (required)
- A commitment to incorporating diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of 826LA programming (required)
- A strong work ethic, a collaborative spirit, the desire to support programs team members (required)
- College diploma (preferred)
- Experience designing and implementing writing curriculum (preferred)
- Fluency in Spanish, both verbally and written, (preferred)
How to apply:
In order to be considered for the Tutoring Programs Coordinator position, you must thoroughly complete the online application, and send the following to [email protected]:
- A cover letter that includes a summary of your relevant experience and a specific explanation of why you are interested in working at 826LA
- A detailed resume
- A list of three references
- Please include your name and "Tutoring Programs Coordinator - MV" in the subject line.
Please note that only complete applications - with cover letter, resume, and references sent to [email protected] - will be considered. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
826LA prioritizes and incorporates Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in all facets of the organization, including internships. 826LA’s staff reflects the diverse student population the organization serves in terms of race and ethnicity. Interns of all ages and backgrounds are encouraged to apply. 826LA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and highly encourages persons of color, LGBTQIA persons, gender non-conforming persons, persons with disabilities and any other protected groups per local, state and federal law are encouraged to apply for this position.