Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery (LAMAG)
Los Angeles, CA
As part of the Getty’s 2019 Marrow Undergraduate Internship, the Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery (LAMAG) is seeking a highly motivated, organized, and team-oriented individual to intern with the organization from June 10 – August 16, 2019. The internship is a full-time (40 hours/week, Monday through Friday) position, with a stipend of $5,700, for a consecutive ten-week work. The internship is intended for outstanding undergraduate students who are members of groups underrepresented in careers related to museums and the visual arts. For more information about eligibility, please visit http://www.getty.edu/foundation/initiatives/current/mui/mui_students.html
- Be of a group underrepresented in museums and visual arts organizations, including, but not limited to, individuals of African American, Asian, Latino/Hispanic, Native American, or Pacific Islander descent;
- Be currently enrolled undergraduates. Students must have complete at least one semester or two quarters of college by June 2019. Students graduating in May or June 2019 are also eligible. (Students who are enrolled in a second BA or BS program are not eligible.)
- Reside or attend college in Los Angeles County; and
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident
- Work closely with and assist the Curatorial and Exhibition team in various aspects of exhibitions research and implementation, including exhibit installation and de-installation.
- Organizing and cataloguing the LAMAG archive, which includes our slide registry, various exhibitions, events, and programs that have taken place over several years
- Interact with visitors, artists, colleagues in a courteous, prompt and professional manner
- General Administrative Support: The Intern will provide general administrative support at LAMAG, including communication with the public on exhibition
- Strong interest in contemporary art (candidates are sought from all areas of undergraduate study and are not required to have demonstrated a previous commitment to the visual arts.)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Knowledge and experience with Adobe programs (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and G Suite
- Flexibility to make changes and support exhibitions and programs as needed
- Commitment to stated schedule
How to Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for two (2) references to email@example.com.
Closing deadline: Friday, April 26
About the Getty Marrow Undergraduate Internship Program
Aiming to encourage greater diversity in the professions related to museums and the visual arts, the Getty Marrow Undergraduate Internship program in Los Angeles supports substantive, full-time summer work opportunities for college undergraduates from cultural backgrounds that have traditionally been underrepresented in the arts. Since the program began in 1993, 161 local arts institutions, including the Getty, have hosted over 3,300 internships, exposing students to career possibilities in the arts. Originally titled the Multicultural Undergraduate Internship program, its name changed in late 2018 with announcement of the retirement of long-time Getty Foundation director Deborah Marrow, who began the program.