The Underground Museum
Los Angeles, CA
The Underground Museum Administrative Assistant Job Description
The Underground Museum (The UM) is seeking an Administrative Assistant to support our growth and operations. The Administrative Assistant will work closely with The UM’s VP/COO and coordinate across all staff members to ensure the museum’s day-to-day operations and programs run smoothly and efficiently. We are seeking a collaborative team member who wants to work in a dynamic, art-centered environment.
● Provide administrative support to the VP/COO and other staff members
● Answer phones and direct messages to the appropriate staff members
● Schedule and coordinate meetings; take detailed meeting notes
● Write and distribute emails, correspondence memos, and letters
● Develop and maintain filing systems for various museum functions
● Maintain office equipment and office supply purchases
● Organize and facilitate workflow between museum staff and external collaborators
● Manage all mail/packages and distribute to appropriate staff
● Makes travel arrangements for senior staff such as booking flights, cars, and hotel or restaurant reservations
● Follow museum opening/closing procedures checklist
● Manage museum office, kitchen and bathroom supplies and inventory
● Alongside all museum staff, maintain overall appearance and tidiness of
general museum spaces, bookstore, kitchen, office, and stockroom areas.
● Oversee weekly trash pickup and recycling; coordinate extra pickups as needed
● Book and oversee weekly cleaning crew; coordinate extra cleaning services as needed
VISITOR RELATIONS & EVENTS
● Occasionally support at the museum’s front desk to inform visitors about exhibitions, events and volunteer opportunities
● Make sure that museum is fully stocked with bathroom, kitchen and production supplies prior to all events; order/purchase new supplies as needed
● Liaise with Managers on any specific needs required based on scale and scope of event
● Participate in events to support the events team with logistics and setup/clean up efforts
Skills and Qualifications:
● Strong writing skills
● Proficient in Microsoft Oce, particularly Word and Excel
● Ability to develop systems and processes
● Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
● Spirit of self initiation and problem solving
● Professional verbal and written communication
● Collaborative, friendly and a good team player
● Use of NationBuilder or similar CMS software a plus
● Bilingual (Spanish) a plus
Navigating the COVID-19 Pandemic
In March 2020, we closed our physical space in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. We are monitoring local and national changes and following LA County and City guidelines around staff and guest safety. While closed to the public, we have continued to host virtual events and work on internal construction and expansion projects. We anticipate reopening in December 2021.
Employment is full-time. The compensation for this position will begin at $45k and will be commensurate with skills and experience. Competitive benefits package includes medical coverage and a generous paid time o policy.
Please email a single PDF to <[email protected]> with your collated cover letter and resume by July 15, 2021.
The Underground Museum is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, disability, age, national origin, political affiliation, marital status, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.