South Coast Botanic Garden
POSITION TITLE: Visitor Experience Associate
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reports to the Manager, Membership and Visitor Services
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
The Visitor Experience Associate serves as the first point of contact for all Garden visitors, and therefore plays a critical role in the success of South Coast Botanic Garden (SCBG). The Visitor Experience Associate has responsibility for providing positive engagement whenever possible -- whether processing financial transactions in our ticket window, answering telephone and email inquiries, or providing inspirational moments in the role of a tour guide, workshop facilitator, greeter or outreach presenter.
The Visitor Experience Associate will present the tools, enthusiasm and information necessary for a positive, safe and memorable guest experience. The Visitor Experience Associate will interact with a broad range of people daily, including garden visitors, special event guests, professional vendors, SCBG donors, venue rental clients, and more. In addition to making all guests feel welcome and valued; this position is accountable for processing admissions, selling and fulfilling memberships, booking event tickets, class registrations, and accepting donations.
The Visitor Experience Associate is expected to maintain a high level of courtesy and professionalism with both visitors and fellow team members. The ideal candidate is a team player who is service-oriented, has a strong attention to detail, exceptional interpersonal skills, and takes pride in providing a memorable and safe visit for every guest. The position offers an opportunity to work alongside a group of professional, hard-working dedicated people who are all empowered to do whatever it takes to deliver an extraordinary visitor experience.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
● Create a welcoming and warm experience for all SCBG visitors
● Inspire guests to have an excellent visit
● Upsell membership to visitors
● Encourage membership renewals and upgrades to current members and meet daily sales goals
● Open and close the Visitor Services Center, close and secure office at end of day
● Make announcements on the Garden intercom
● Provide effective customer service in-person and over the phone
● Answer inbound telephone calls and emails and provides customer service
● Generate interest in SCBG’s offerings by effectively explaining them to visitors
● Suggest events, programs, and membership offerings to visitors, based on their interests
● Demonstrate a well-rounded understanding of SCBG’s mission
● Partner with facilities staff and events staff to deliver an exceptional visitor experience
● Lead guided tours when assigned
● Assist with creative, hands on activities and workshops to engage guests
● Assist with class sign ups and registration
● Assist customers with ticket exchanges and/or returns
● Use creative problem solving when responding to guest concerns. Resolve customer services issues and/or elevate them to Management when appropriate
● For membership program, ensure visitor data is entered into database in a consistent and timely fashion
● Reconcile cash/checks and charges with ticket sales daily
● Meet personal/team sales targets for membership and donations
● Handle confidential media/information with discretion
● Perform administrative tasks
● Treat all SCBG employees and visitors with respect and contribute to a positive work environment
● Be a positive advocate for the SCBG’s community and employee culture
● Other duties as assigned
● Point of Sales system, such as Altru, credit card processing machine, phone, calculator, copier, computer, printer, hand-held (two-way) radio.
● Ability to work outdoors, in all weather conditions, as needed.
● Extended periods of time standing outdoors, with or without accommodation.
● Ability to be “on-stage” during work hours, by presenting a positive and pleasant atmosphere for guests
● This position occasionally requires lifting of up to 15 pounds
● BA/BS or equivalent preferred
● One year retail experience or working in a public garden, museum or relevant attraction
● Cash handling/cash register experience
● Customer service experience
● An approachable, friendly, enthusiastic personality
● Reliable attendance
● Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills
● Ability to work with diverse cultures, backgrounds, and personalities
● Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including nights, holidays and weekends
● Must be able to handle simple calculations and money transactions
● Must be self-motivated, have a good sense of humor, focus and a strong work ethic
● Good working knowledge of computers and familiarity with general office technology
● Basic knowledge of Word and Excel necessary
● Bilingual in Spanish and English preferred, but not required
● Presents in a neat, clean and well-dressed manner appropriate for customer-facing service
This is a temporary, non-exempt, part-time position at this time. Candidates must be available to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the needs of the organization.
To be considered please send the following to Katelyn Welch at [email protected] by 11/30/21 :
● Cover letter
Incomplete submissions will not be considered.