South Coast Botanic Garden
South Coast Botanic Garden, an 87-acre urban oasis in Palos Verdes, CA, is enjoying the recent success of a stunning new four million dollar Rose Garden, a show-stopping 400 square foot Living Wall, and the arrival of Hide and Seek, a long-term exhibition of eight remarkable large-scale works of fine art sculpture. There is even more excitement to come, with a long-range Vision Plan that will reimagine the entire guest experience, including the creation of a 3.5 acre Children’s Garden and a 17-acre Water Garden to be unveiled in the coming years. There’s never been a better time to join this dynamic team.
Visitor Experience Associate Shift Supervisor
Reports to Associate Director, Membership and Visitor Services
The foundation seeks a talented and enthusiastic individual with customer service and team-building experience to assist the Associate Director (AD) with leading the Visitor Experience Team. The Supervisor will keep the AD informed of any issues within the department and assist the AD with training new associates, monitoring sales contests and troubleshooting any database, technology or visitor issues that arise.
The Shift Supervisor works with the AD, providing assistance with various programs and services including visitor services, ticketing and reporting. They are responsible for the various tasks involved in the overall opening, daily and closing operations of the Garden, including cash management and visitor relations.
In the AD’s absence, the Shift Supervisor acts as the Manager on Duty for all Visitor Experience Associates. This role will respond directly to visitors’ complaints, ensuring that the visitor is assisted to the best of their ability. They will assist with Health Department inspection visits, ensuring that the inspector is helped as needed and the executive team and county partners are notified of the visit. The Shift Supervisor will respond to Garden emergencies and provide direction to other Visitor Experience Associates on how to assist with the emergency.
The Shift Supervisor ensures proper scheduling of Visitor Experience Associates, processes transactions according to departmental standards, and interacts with visitors and other co-workers in a positive and polite manner.
The Shift Supervisor closes and approves all drawers as needed and reports any discrepancies promptly to the AD. They will monitor and resolve any unresolved online sales orders on a daily basis.
● Supervise the Visitor Experience Associates (VEA) who are responsible for engaging with visitors and selling memberships. Address scheduling needs due to absences as needed.
● Responsible for opening and closing the Visitor Services Center each day and approving team member drawer balance
● Troubleshoot technology and database problems as needed
● Assist the AD with retail Kiosk operations by updating inventory, helping with merchandise delivery and storage, and providing general upkeep
● Create a welcoming and warm experience for all SCBG visitors
● Inspire guests to have an excellent visit through recommendations, effectively explaining what the Garden has to offer, suggest events, programs and memberships that may be of specific interest to the visitor, and outline SCBG policies
● Treat all SCBG employees and visitors with respect and contribute to a positive work environment while advocating for SCBG’s community and employee culture
● Upsell membership to visitors, encourage membership renewals and upgrades to current members and meet daily sales goals. Enter visitor information into database for membership program.
● Meet personal and team sales targets for memberships and donations
● Provide effective professional customer service both in-person or telephonically to address visitor complaints, assist visitors with ticket exchanges and/or returns, and apply creative problem solving when responding to visitor concerns.
● Always address visitors in a welcoming, polite and courteous manner
● Partner with facilities staff and events staff to deliver an exceptional visitor experience
● Resolve visitor issues and determine when to escalate them to management when appropriate
● Assist with class enrollment and registration
● Using the intercom system, make announcement to visitors in the Garden
● Handle confidential media/information with discretion
● Perform administrative tasks
● Other duties as assigned
● Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including nights, holidays and weekends
● Experience with Altru or similar database preferred
● Cash handling/cash register experience
● Customer service experience
● An approachable, friendly, enthusiastic demeanor
● Reliable attendance
● Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills
● Good working knowledge of computers and familiarity with general office technology, including basic knowledge of Word and Excel
● Ability to serve a visitor population of diverse cultures, ages, backgrounds and individual needs
● Must be self-motivated, focused and have a strong work ethic
● Presents in a neat, clean and well-dressed manner appropriate for customer-facing service
● Ability to work outdoors, in all weather conditions, as needed with extended periods of time standing, with or without accommodation
● Ability to be “on-stage” during work hours by presenting a positive and pleasant atmosphere for visitors
● This position occasionally requires lifting of up to 15 pounds
● BA/BS preferred
● Retail experience or experience working in a public garden, museum or relevant attraction
● Bilingual preferred but not required
Position is full-time, non-exempt. Must be available weekends and holidays. Please submit your cover letter and resume to [email protected] to apply by March 15, 2022.