Armory Center of the Arts
Los Angeles, CA
Armory Center for the Arts based in Pasadena, California, seeks a part-time Visitor Services Associate to assist with facilitating daily Visitor Services at the Armory and ensuring the visitor experience is warm, welcoming, and informative.
Armory Center for the Arts builds on the power of art to transform lives and communities through creating, teaching, and presenting the arts. Deeply committed to cultural equity and community empowerment, the Armory presents contemporary art exhibitions, performances, and educational experiences at its main facility in Pasadena and offsite throughout the City of Pasadena and Greater Los Angeles. For more information on the Armory, visit armoryarts.org/about.
What We Are Looking For
The Visitor Services Associate (VSA) is responsible for facilitating daily Visitor Services at the Armory Center for the Arts and ensuring the visitor experience is warm, welcoming, and informative. VSAs are tasked with engaging with the public in order to provide an educational, safe, and memorable experience at the Armory. VSAs are also tasked with running the daily, frontline operations in a safe, smooth, and efficient manner.
The ideal candidate is:
- Excellent visitor service skills and courteous phone manner.
- Confident public speaker able to work with groups of all ages and backgrounds.
- Ability to interact with various personality traits and maintain a professional demeanor with both staff and visitors alike.
- Responsible, flexible, punctual, and able to work well under pressure. Positive attitude.
- Ability to work any shift including weekends, nights, and holidays; and/or work extended hours if required.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Minimum of two years prior experience working in a cultural organization or educational setting.
- Familiarity and comfort with standards, practices, and procedures of museums and/or childcare. Familiarity and comfort with business protocols; office skills.
- The physical ability to speak, hear, see, reach, bend, twist, type, sit, stand, lift 50 pounds, and climb a short ladder.
- Fluency in other languages is a plus.
General Duties, Responsibilities, Essential Functions
- Greet and welcome visitors upon their arrival and orient them to the Armory. Assess visitor needs and share the wide range of programming and activities available.
- Be well informed about Exhibition and Studio programs and schedules.
- Assist visitors with wayfinding around the Armory.
- Provide information and monitor visitors and adherence to site rules.
- Answer visitor questions regarding a wide variety of topics including general Armory matters or the Old Pasadena neighborhood; If necessary, direct visitor to the appropriate place/person, or take their contact info for follow up.
- Monitor and control visitor flow at entry and exit points. Report any issues.
- Respond to visitor concerns and complaints and report any concerns to Supervisors in a timely and efficient manner.
- Provide professional, efficient, and approachable support and excellent service to visitors and staff alike.
- Assist with exhibition openings and special events that take place at the Armory throughout the year.
- Provide administrative, technical, or programmatic support during periods when Exhibitions and Studio are between programs/sessions.
- Maintain clean and orderly work areas, specifically exhibition reception desk and front office.
- Answer front office phones and check voicemails. Change outgoing messages for each exhibition. Direct unresolved questions to supervisor.
- Update and maintain Exhibition and Studio departmental calendars.
- Perform any other duties as may reasonably be required.
- Open and close galleries, including turning on and off any video or other tech.
- Support department’s social media activities.
- Maintain organized and accurate daily visitor log. Input new addresses into database.
- Sell books; maintain book inventory; track sales.
- Maintain organized closet behind reception desk.
- Assist with departmental events by providing setup of AV, chairs, recording, and other needs as requested.
- Monitor condition of all galleries on daily basis. Clean scuffs as needed. Remove trash or other debris as needed. Report burned out bulbs or other matters that require preparatory attention.
- Maintain accurate daily student check-in log.
- Check in all students, following strict COVID-19 safety protocols, including daily attestation forms and temperature checks for all students.
- Lead students ages 11 and younger safely to class once check-in process is complete.
- Open doors to studio spaces at the start of every class, locking and monitoring front Armory doors during class, ensuring student safety during their time at the Armory.
- During class, monitor all Studio class spaces, assisting with bathroom/water breaks for students ages 11 and younger.
- Assist the Studio Manager in maintaining an organized, clean, and active studio space.
- Disinfect high-touch areas, such as stools, tables, and shared materials, between classes.
- Assist with the organization of materials for classes.
- Supervise students ages 11 and younger if parents are late for check-out.
- Provide other administrative assistance to Studio Manager and Studio Registrar.
This is a PT position paid at an hourly rate. Pay is $19.35/hour. Work hours are 29 hours per week on average including any weekends and holidays that fall on your scheduled days. This position will be required to cover a variety of shifts depending on needs of the organization. The schedule is subject to change.
How to Apply
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to [email protected]. In the subject line of the email, please write “Visitor Services Associate” No phone calls please. Applications are due by Thursday, September 9, 2021, at 5pm.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the Armory Center for the Arts to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.