La Cañada Flintridge, CA
Position: Visitor Services Representative
Department: Visitor Services
Status: Non-Exempt, On-Call, 0-28 hours weekly
Reports To: Visitor Services Manager
Descanso Gardens seeks a Visitor Services Representative responsible for providing frontline customer service at Descanso Gardens. Reporting to the Visitor Services Manager, this part-time position will work directly with the public, Descanso members, and Descanso staff in all areas of visitor services including the Visitor Center, Boddy House, Sturt Haaga Gallery, Enchanted Railroad, Courtesy Shuttle, and Tours.
This is a part-time, non-exempt position and will be scheduled on weekends, holidays, and occasionally evenings, depending on the needs of the organization. The anticipated work schedule for the position will include weekends, holidays, and some weekdays, and shift lengths will range from 4 to 8 hours during hours of operation. These hours and schedule are subject to change depending on the seasonal and on-going needs of the department, including Free Tuesdays and evening shifts for summer extended hours and the Garden’s special winter event, Enchanted: Forest of Light.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION include but are not limited to:
- Performs all Visitor Center operations including, but not limited to, opening/closing, admissions, Public Programs, Enchanted Railroad ticketing, special event and tour sales while observing all cash handling policies with minimal variance discrepancies and while handling confidential media/visitor information with discretion.
- Responsible for executing membership sales, renewals and upgrades.
- Responsible for maintaining accurate data entry procedures in Altru for all incoming constituents.
- Educates visitors on admissions policies and safety policies with politeness, tact, and respect.
- Conducts guided garden tours for visitors and tour groups of 25 to 40 people as needed.
- Responsible for providing excellent visitor experience at Boddy House and Sturt Haaga Gallery; ensures spaces are well maintained by communicating with other Visitor Services staff; may occasionally assist with volunteer and new employee training; may open and close spaces as needed.
- Assists with Enchanted Railroad and Courtesy Shuttle operations as needed, including being trained and driving both vehicles.
- Will be trained in First Aid, AED operation, and proper incident documentation and communication.
- Assists in other Visitor Services projects, posts, and duties as assigned.
EQUIPMENT USED and PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Computers, cash register, credit card processing, standard office equipment including phone, calculator, copier, fax machine, printer, chalkboard signs, hand-held (two-way) radio, Enchanted Railroad miniature train, and Courtesy Shuttle (golf cart).
This position requires flexibility to work in an office and an active outdoor environment which includes public interaction, exposure to various noise levels, and other distractions throughout the Gardens. Must be able to walk long distances and on occasion access various areas of the Gardens including areas not accessible by paved roads or dirt trails. This position occasionally requires lifting of up to 15 pounds.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- One year of cash handling experience required; must be able to operate a computer-based cash register, handle simple calculations, and money transactions accurately and efficiently.
- Two years customer service experience required.
- Experience and proficiency with Altru by Blackbaud; Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook; and Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Gmail preferred.
- Must demonstrate excellent communication skills and telephone etiquette.
- Must have an outgoing personality and be a quick learner to be able to inform public about the garden and various events and classes.
- Must be self-motivated, have a high degree of integrity, honesty, and a strong work ethic.
- It is essential that the candidate have the flexibility and disposition to interact effectively with staff, team members, trustees, volunteers, vendors, and the public.
- Must be able and willing to work outside in all weather conditions including rain, cold, and heat.
- Good working knowledge of computers and familiarity with general office equipment.
- A valid California driver’s license is required.
Compensation: $12 per hour
To apply: Interested parties may apply by submitting a MS Word or PDF Letter of Interest and Resume to [email protected] with VSREPOC1805 in the subject line. Only those applicants meeting the minimum requirements and submitting all required information may be contacted for further inquiry. We will accept resumes until the position is filled.
No phone calls, please.
Descanso Gardens Guild Inc. acknowledges that equal opportunity for all persons is a fundamental human value. Each employee will be considered on the basis of individual ability and merit, without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sex, or marital status.