Los Angeles, CA
The Los Angeles Music and Art School (LAMusArt) was founded in 1945 to provide youth in the community of Boyle Heights and East Los Angeles with safe and engaging arts programs during unsupervised after-school hours. Since its inception, its mission has been to provide equitable access to year-round, multidisciplinary, and after-school artistic programs for under-resourced students living in the community of East Los Angeles.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Teach knowledge and skills in 2D and 3D art, including, but not limited to drawing, painting, art history, printmaking.
- Keep organized the classroom including common areas and storage areas
- Create and implement small group study syllabus with LAMusArt framework understandings
- Plan and present student art displays and exhibitions designed to exhibit student work and for them to experience success
- Support, host and promote students between levels
- Maintain a safe and nurturing environment for students
- Track and maintain student attendance
- Create detailed substitute lesson plans, materials list and arrange for substitute coverage
- Submit time sheets and behavioral reports as needed & other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts
- Demonstrated excellent as a teacher/artist
- Extensive knowledge of child development, curriculum planning and pedagogy
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
- Interest and ability to be a motivational mentor and role model for students, parents and peers
- Punctual; attention to detail and deadlines
- Reliable transportation
- Cover Letter
- Résumé/Curriculum Vitae
- Visual art teaching sample (Links to Dropbox, Vimeo or YouTube preferred in place of an attached electronic video file. No hard copies)
- Experience working with children from diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds; exposure working in underserved communities Able and willing to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license, personal vehicle, and valid insurance.
- Bilingual (English & Spanish) preferred.