WHO ARE WE?
Young Storytellers sparks creative self-discovery through storytelling. Our programs highlight young people as the center of their own narratives, emphasize that their stories matter, and celebrate their unique voices as the ones telling them. Young Storytellers works towards a future where young people experience the impact that their thoughts, feelings, and words can have on the world in which they live.
Young Storytellers works with students in elementary, middle, and high school. In elementary school, students write scripts that are completely their own; in middle school, students write stories about challenges that they face; and in high school, students explore how various communities are portrayed in the media and craft stories that they feel represent their self-identified communities. Students in each program work with volunteer mentors, and every student gets to see their work performed by professional actors. Young Storytellers programs are designed around Common Core standards, integrate Social and Emotional Learning activities, and include components of Learning for Justice’s Social Justice Standards.
WHAT IS THIS POSITION?
The Volunteer Outreach & Engagement Strategist is a new member of our growing Volunteer Team. In partnership with the Volunteer Community Strategist, this new member will provide leadership, coaching, and guidance to the Volunteer team. The Volunteer Outreach & Engagement Strategist will be responsible for performing values-aligned outreach to potential volunteers, working across teams to build sustainable outreach pathways and systems, and largely in communities that are representative of our students. The Volunteer Outreach & Engagement Strategist will also construct and implement a comprehensive onboarding process for volunteers, and work with other Volunteer and Programs Team members to ensure that all processes are inclusive of the volunteer and school-related steps necessary for volunteers to work within Los Angeles schools. In addition, the Volunteer Outreach & Engagement Strategist will work with our very collaborative team to ideate and implement retention and cultivation strategies, finding creative and engaging ways to move actors, mentors, Head Mentors, and other volunteers through the Young Storytellers volunteer pipeline. The Volunteer Outreach & Engagement Strategist has an opportunity to have a high impact on the success of our programs in alignment with our Worldview and values of belonging, connection, exploration, play, and antiracism.
COOL, BUT LET'S GET SPECIFIC. WHAT'S INVOLVED IN THIS JOB?
– Partners with the Volunteer Community Strategist to provide leadership, coaching, direction, and support to the Volunteer Team;
– Creates and implements volunteer outreach strategy with the goal of building a diverse pool of volunteers that are values-aligned and representative of YS students, and partners with other staff members and across teams as helpful;
– Creates and manages a standardized system of onboarding for all volunteers — including paperwork, background checks, and school and district requirements — so they can readily and successfully engage with YS programs;
– Partners with the Training Specialist to create orientations and program trainings that prepare new volunteers for engaging with YS programs with values at the forefront;
– In partnership with other Volunteer Team members, oversees and implements retention and cultivation strategies for all volunteers, including gratitude campaigns, thank-you events, and other strategic retention efforts;
– Creates and implements volunteer communications strategy through volunteer communications, newsletters, events calendar, and website information;
– With the Volunteer Team, oversees the creation, execution, review, and dissemination of volunteer surveys, and implements changes based on feedback received;
– Oversees the input of onboarding volunteer data into the YS Database, and works closely with Database & Technical Specialist to ensure volunteer database goals and needs are being met;
– Implements YS’s DEIB and antiracism practices, and the organizational values of exploration, belonging, play, and connection, in all parts of volunteer outreach, onboarding, retention, and cultivation.
WHAT ARE THE SKILLS & EXPERIENCES NEEDED FOR THIS POSITION?
– The ability to work collaboratively within and across teams;
– Experience coordinating or managing volunteers, especially in regards to outreach, onboarding, and retention;
– Proficient in project management;
– Excellent organization skills;
– Adaptability and flexibility;
– Adaptable and effective communication skills, both written and verbal;
– A desire for the creation of an equitable volunteer program that centers students, their voices, and their experiences.
– Coaching and/or managing both individuals and teams of people;
– Experience creating and implementing volunteer management strategy;
– Facilitation skills and comfort speaking in front of diverse groups of people;
– Spanish language skills, both written and verbal.
WHAT IS THE COMPENSATION FOR THIS POSITION?
The Volunteer Outreach & Engagement Strategist is a full time, salaried position with a salary range of $55,000-$70,000, depending on experience. Total compensation includes a health insurance stipend, retirement savings program, and generous paid time off and holiday breaks. The Young Storytellers team operates on a hybrid work schedule with two days at our DTLA office and three days remote each week.
WHAT IS YOUR COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY?
In alignment with our organizational values and Worldview, Young Storytellers has a Covid-19 vaccination mandate in place for all staff, interns, Board members, volunteers for in-person programs and events, and office visitors. We define “fully vaccinated” as all required shots plus a booster shot by a FDA-approved vaccine (Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson) or a comparable approved vaccine (i.e. AstraZeneca). Proof of vaccination must be submitted to Young Storytellers before interviewing with the organization. Legitimate health or religious exemptions will be considered, but the health and safety of the whole YS community will be equally considered.
Ok, I’m In. How Do I Apply?
Anticipated start date is June 1, 2022, and applications will be accepted until by 5/27/2022 or until the position is full. To apply, please visit https://bit.ly/ysvolunteerstrategist2022 to fill out an application and upload the following in PDF form:
– Resume / CV;
– A brief statement or cover letter that includes why you are interested in working with Young Storytellers and this position in particular, highlighting your previous work with volunteer outreach, engagement, and retention.
ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD KNOW?
Young Storytellers is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Belonging is a core value of the Young Storytellers culture, and our daily practices around equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-bias, antidiscrimination, and antiracism are central to that value. Young Storytellers firmly believes that Black Lives Matter. We encourage women and gender diverse people, BIPOC, LGBTQIA+ individuals, veterans, immigrants, and anyone with a disability to apply for this and all our positions. Young Storytellers has designed our interview, onboarding, and ongoing cultural practices to be a welcoming space for everyone. You can read more about our worldview on our website.
For any questions or accommodations while applying due to a disability, please email us at [email protected] or call us at 323.962.4500.