Pasadena Youth Symphony Orchestras (PYSO)
YOUTH ORCHESTRA COORDINATOR JOB DESCRIPTION
PASADENA SYMPHONY ASSOCIATION
JOB TITLE: Youth Orchestra Coordinator
DATE: November 2019
REPORTS TO: Director of Education and Community Engagement
SALARY: $16.00 to $18.00 /hour
The Youth Orchestra Coordinator is primarily responsible for assisting the Education and Community Engagement Manager in the onsite execution Pasadena Youth Symphony Orchestras (PYSO) auditions, rehearsals, performances, retreats and other related events as assigned.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Rehearsal and Concert Production:
- Provide overall operational support for the Pasadena Youth Symphony Orchestras: All City Orchestra, Prelude Strings, Wind Ensemble, String Orchestra, Symphony, and Philharmonic;
- Attend and carry out logistical needs for all PYSO rehearsals and concerts, including but not limited to rehearsal/concert set-up/tear-down, fulfilling music needs, communicating with students and parents, and assisting the ensemble conductors;
- Supervise all onsite student musicians, parent, and all hired professional personnel at all times, as well as managing and training student volunteers;
- Act as a liaison and maintain favorable rapport with PYSO conductors, coaches, education staff, students, and parents;
- Assist with securing and loading/unloading of equipment truck for rehearsals and concerts as needed.
- Assist Education and Community Engagement Manager to carry-out all music preparation needs and day-to-day operations as needed;
- Assist in management and implantation of PYSO’s annual auditions held in May of each year;
- Assist with planning of Youth Orchestras special performance events and any schedule trips/tours as needed;
- Maintain and organize program files and supplies;
- Monitor schedules, maintain attendance and rosters.
The duties listed above are not all inclusive. The PYSO Coordinator is expected to perform other work-related duties as assigned.
The PYSO Coordinator will work an average of 12-16 hours per week during the PYSO season. These hours will fluctuate as needed during concert and special event weeks. Weekly hours will usually be divided as follows during the months of September through May:
- 4 hours every Sunday for weekly rehearsal (5pm – 9pm)
- 2 hours every Monday for weekly rehearsal (12:00pm-2:30pm)
- 6 hours every Tuesday for weekly rehearsal (3pm – 9pm)
Some remote, administrative work will be needed to carry out the logistical needs of PYSO rehearsals and concerts. The PYSO Coordinator will work with the Education and Community Engagement Manager to determine these hours as needed.
An ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and competencies:
- Ensemble management experience preferred;
- Experience working with children from diverse backgrounds;
- Background knowledge in orchestral repertoire, instrumentation, and general rehearsal and performance procedures;
- Must be available for and punctual to all PYSO rehearsals, performances, and other PYSO activities;
- Must have a high level of professionalism, consistency, and autonomy;
- Must possess strong interpersonal, communication, and problem solving skills when working with parents, students, teachers, and personnel;
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team who is able to remain flexible in quickly-changing circumstances;
- Must have a valid driver’s license, auto insurance, and regular access to a vehicle. Comfortable renting
and driving large trucks to transport instruments and equipment, as well as transporting items for concerts and events in personal vehicle;
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- Must have the ability to lift and move equipment weighing 40 pounds, in/out of trucks, and across rooms/buildings for rehearsals and event needs;
- This position will require a satisfactory background check
This is a part-time position with work responsibilities on weekends and/or evenings according to the season calendar. We will begin reviewing applications immediately; position is open until filled.
Interested applicants, please send Resume, Cover letter, and References to:
Education and Community Engagement manager
ABOUT THE PASADENA YOUTH SYMPHONY ORCHESTRAS
A hallmark of its robust education programs, the Pasadena Symphony Association has served the youth of the region for over five decades through the Pasadena Youth Symphony Orchestras (PYSO). Comprised of six performing ensembles, with over 300 gifted 4th-12th grade students from more than 50 schools all over the Southern California region, the PYSO program offers instruction to students of various aptitudes.