Applications for the 2017-18 cycle of the ACTIVATE Arts Advocacy Leadership Program are NOW OPEN! The application deadline is Sunday, July 16, 2017. Apply to join of the 2017-18 cohort of ACTIVATE Fellows TODAY!
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 11:59pm (PST)
PARTICIPANTS NOTIFIED: Friday, September 1, 2017 (via email)
ACTIVATE 2017-18 INFORMATIONAL SESSION &
APPLICATION WALKTHROUGH WEBINAR
Arts for LA recently hosted a webinar about the ACTIVATE Program and application process for prospective ACTIVATE Fellows. Arts for LA staff reviewed the benefits and goals of ACTIVATE, the program guidelines and expectations, differences between the Arts Education and Cultural Policy program tracks, and detailed information about the 2017-18 ACTIVATE Program Application. The webinar also featured ACTIVATE Alumni, Alina Borja (2016-17 Cultural Policy) and Jeremy Quant (2016-17 Arts Education), who discussed their journey as ACTIVATE Fellows as well as their work on their action projects during the program and beyond.
Benefits of Program:
- Participation in nine sessions with top leaders in education, cultural policy, advocacy, and communication.
- Opportunity to gain the tools, skills, and resources to foster positive change in your community.
- Peer and mentor coaching to develop a spring advocacy initiative in your community.
- Monthly networking and opportunities for collaboration with fellow advocates.
- Opportunity to host a meeting with decision-makers to discuss arts policy for your school district/community.
- Recognition as an advocate leader in Arts for LA’s regional initiatives.
- Free attendance to the LA Convergence, among other professional development opportunities.
ACTIVATE is generously funded by The Boeing Company, LA County Arts Commission, the Louis J. Borick Foundation, and Arts for LA Contributing Members and is FREE TO ALL PARTICIPANTS.
Guidelines and Eligibility:
- Participants must live/work in LA County.
- Participants are actively involved in their school district and/or community.
- Participants must be able to commit to all training sessions over nine months (September 2017 - May 2018).
- Participants may only apply to one track of ACTIVATE; there will be joint sessions when both cohorts are brought together.
- Participants will be selected to represent the broad geography and demographics of Los Angeles County.
- Participation may be limited to one representative per school district or city/ municipality.
- Participants must be 18 years or older to apply.
Attend All Program Sessions
ACTIVATE is a 9-month commitment. By agreeing to participate, you are confirming that you can attend all nine sessions (barring an emergency). Those who have unapproved absences will be charged a penalty fee. A full list of session dates and times for both program tracks can be is available HERE. Please note that the LA Convergence conference in November and ArtsMonth activities in April are optional professional development opportunities open to Fellows.
Design and Implement an Advocacy Project
Program participants will develop an advocacy project plan throughout the fall. This plan is intended to inform an advocacy action project from January to May 2018. Projects should address an existing goal for your school district/charter or city. We encourage participants to design projects that have SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and timely) goals. We recognize that projects can evolve and should be designed with consideration for continued advocacy action after the ACTIVATE program concludes. Arts for LA will guide you in the design of your plan, which should be developed by January 2018.
Meet with Your Elected Officials
Participants are required to set up a meeting elected officials [Arts Education: School Board Member(s)/ District Leadership and Cultural Policy: Mayor/ City Councilmember(s)/ City Leadership] to discuss arts initiatives for your community. This meeting should take place by April 2018.
Document Your Project
Beginning in January, participants will be expected to document their progress towards their action project goal, keeping in mind how it supports the broader school district/charter or city goal. Project documentation should also outline how other advocates might replicate or adapt the project design in other communities.
Participate in Evaluation & Story Telling
Arts for LA will work with different groups or news outlets to document participant’s work throughout LA County. Research teams, news outlets, and Arts for LA staff may interview participants to be featured in various publications. Participants will also be asked to participate in evaluation processes and may also be asked to share written reflections about their advocacy efforts throughout the year. Additionally, in May 2018, Arts for LA will host a culmination celebration for participants to share their action projects and experiences.
ACTIVATE Arts Education:
The Arts Education track will explore education policy, data, research, communication strategies, and leadership building topics. Participants in the Arts Education track will work to support their local school district to expand, improve, and support arts education for students. Participants in this track will also design a spring action project that is tied to the school district's strategic arts priorities.
ACTIVATE Cultural Policy:
The Cultural Policy track will explore cultural policy, government infrastructure, public art initiatives, communication strategies, and leadership building topics. Participants in the Cultural Policy track will work to support their city or municipality to expand, improve, and support arts and cultural policy and infrastructure. Participants in this track will also design a spring action project that is tied to their local city/municipality's cultural arts initiatives.
Important Notes on Application Process:
You cannot save your work and come back at a later time. We recommend you write all essay responses in a Word document and paste them into the application. You can download a reference copy of the application questions for each of the program tracks above.
- You must complete the entire application to apply for the ACTIVATE program. Partially completed applications will not be reviewed.