The newest program addition, ACTIVATE Student Organizing is designed to teach high school students throughout Los Angeles county the skills needed to become leading arts advocates in the growing student movement for equitable access to an arts education.
ACTIVATE Student Organizing was initiated by a group of students who reached out to Arts For LA in 2021 in order to advocate for more arts classes in their schools. The first cohort met remotely for four months to learn the skills of advocacy. In 2022, Arts For LA launched the first application process to formally recruit the second cohort of student arts advocates. In its third year launch, the ACTIVATE Student Organizing program is officially here to stay! We look forward to developing the leadership of the next generation of arts leaders.
WHO SHOULD APPLY TO ACTIVATE STUDENT ORGANIZING?
- High School students (9th-12th grade) in Los Angeles County
- Students interested in the arts and politics
- Students from communities who lack access to an arts education
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Nothing. Students who are selected to participate and complete the program are awarded a $300 participant honorarium for their work.
- Session 1: September 12, 5:00 – 7:00 pm (virtual)
- Session 2: October 10, 5:00 – 7:00 pm (virtual)
- Session 3: November 14, 5:00 – 7:00 pm (virtual)
- Session 4: January 9, 5:00 – 7:00 pm (virtual)
- Session 5 (Closing Ceremony): February 1, time TBA (virtual)
Attend each session. Each session builds on each other, so it’s important to attend every session to keep up.