ACTIVATE Delegates functions as an advocacy lab for artists, creative sector workers, or anyone interested in the intersection of community organizing and the arts.
The four-month program includes:
- Hands-on learning opportunities
- Networking with field leaders
- Meeting with local elected officials and staffers to advocate for the art
- Mobilizing community members to support key legislation.
The course will also briefly touch on the fundamentals of cultural policy and civic procedures with the aim of empowering arts leaders to drive change across Arts for LA’s four policy areas: affordable spaces for artists, creative career pathways, equitable arts education, and equitable arts funding.
ACTIVATE Delegates is open to artists, arts professionals, cultural workers, educators, and community advocates interested in making change across LA’s creative sectors. We welcome applications from anyone interested in exploring the question: “What can I, as an individual, do to build the power of our creative communities across the LA region?”
ACTIVATE Delegates focuses on the intersection of community organizing and the arts, giving participants the skills they need to mobilize their community, build power, and impact local decision makers and elected officials.
While the skills taught are widely applicable, ACTIVATE Delegates emphasizes the importance of the civic sphere and making change through local governments. No prior knowledge of advocacy/community organizing is necessary.
- Participants must live, work or study in LA County.
- Participants must be able to commit to all sessions.
- Participants must be 18 years or older to apply.
- Participants will be selected to represent the broad geography and demographics of Los Angeles County.
Questions? Email [email protected]