One of the longest established contemporary art galleries on the West Coast, L.A. Louver is seeking a full-time Registrar to join our team. Our ideal candidate will have two to five years of experience with a fine art gallery, shipping company, or arts institution, and an excellent understanding of professional best practices. This is a 100% in-person position.
The Registrar will need to be a strong team player, working closely with the Director of Operations and Facilities and gallery preparators to organize shipping, framing, and conservation; maintain and update the inventory database; and liaise with gallery colleagues, artists, clients, and vendors.
This colleague must be extremely detail oriented by nature, a clear and gracious communicator, capable of working well under deadline pressures, and have good professional judgment.
Responsibilities may include:
- Initiate and monitor incoming and outgoing shipments (both domestic and international), communicating with shipping vendors to obtain estimates and manage pickup, transportation, and endpoint delivery of artworks.
- Track and manage artwork movements, consignments and loan agreements
- Ensure artwork inventory database records remain correct and updated, prioritizing artwork details, images, location, condition, framing and production costs, as well as provenance and exhibition history entries, working closely with Archive.
- General collections management, including condition reporting, cataloguing, and tracking of artworks across multiple locations, including on- and off-site storage, artist studios and exhibition loans
- Oversee basic art handling and preparation duties; assist as needed with packing and unpacking, installation
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline preferred
- Minimum two years registration and/or collections management experience in a gallery or art institution
- Proficiency and experience with art inventory / collections management database (familiarity with ArtBase is ideal)
- Proficiency with Mac OS X environment, MS Office Suite; Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Acrobat Pro) a plus
- Knowledge of art handling, art storage, and transportation best practices
- Must be able to lift 30+ lbs
- Must have valid CA driver’s license, as position may require working out of multiple locations
No relocation support is available.
Benefits: This is a full-time (Monday-Friday), salaried staff position with benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid vacation and sick leave, and 401(k).
To Apply, please submit a cover letter and resume in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Gallery Registrar” by October 31, 2023.
No phone calls, please. Qualified candidates will be contacted directly.