Los Angeles, CA
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Elysian, a non-profit theater that supports Los Angeles-based comedy performers and performances in development, seeks an Artistic Director to oversee the programming and creative operations of the theater, and set the long term vision for the organization. This includes development programs, community cultivation, and fundraising in support of our mission to “support innovative artists
devising original and unconventional live comedy by cultivating a diverse and collaborative community that values experimentation.” This full time leadership role reports to the chairman of the
The ideal candidate will have at least seven years of experience producing and curating live shows, as well as a deep network of performers, creators, designers, press contacts, etc, and a strong familiarity with the local LA comedy scene. In addition, they should have experience in nonprofit leadership, excellent communication skills and an ability to offer feedback and guidance to artists. Also helpful would be an entrepreneurial mindset, and an eagerness to roll up the proverbial shirtsleeves and support the creation of new work and programs however possible. Previous management experience and strong management skills are also important, as well as experience with marketing and fundraising. The ideal candidate will be excited about motivating and uniting artists, staff, funders, audiences, and the broader community in service of building a strong Elysian Theater.
Oversee programming for 5-7 nights/week of comedy/music/theater, including multi-show runs, Spaghetti Festival, and hands-on development of new work. Pay particular attention to fostering diversity in our creators and audiences, as well as building a vibrant community of Elysian participants and supporters. This includes:
- Launching programs that strengthen the commitment to the Elysian’s creative mission of supporting boundary pushing artists
- Creating a system for supporting both presenting and producing objectives, and working with the Managing Director to create revenue, operations, and programming protocols for both
- Create theater development pipeline, including selection guidelines, workshop infrastructure, cultivating a community of artistic mentors and collaborators, and production of work in progress
- With Programming Director and Programming Coordinator, managing pitch review process, including monitoring all general email addresses
- Leading annual Spaghetti Festival, including application and review process, creative matchmaking, festival production, and post-festival development program
- Overseeing and expanding educational programs for artists – workshops, classes, writing groups, artistic retreats, etc.
- Scouting and research of other shows and venues
- Overseeing and expanding community-oriented programs
*Management and Strategy
In partnership with the Managing Director, oversee and strengthen the Elysian team and culture
- Overseeing creative team, Programming Director and Programming Coordinator, and part-time curators and programmers, including conducting regular performance, building the org structure,
responding to staffing issues, etc.
- Alongside Managing Director, setting organizational values and ensuring operations adhere to mission of the theater
- Alongside Managing Director, setting strategic plan and budget for long term success and growth of the theater, including assistance with fundraising, grant writing, etc.
Create marketing and communications strategy. This includes:
- Developing the Elysian’s brand across social, site, and press
- Providing artists with the necessary resources to build their own marketing materials
- Oversight of the website and social media accounts
- Building strategies to optimize ticket sales
- Build partnerships with like minded venues and producers
To apply, please send a cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the position, along with your resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 8, 2023. Please include Artistic Director in the subject line and combine both documents into a single PDF file. // We highly encourage applicants from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. The Elysian cultivates a diverse workplace and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants, and does not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any type with regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, partnership status, disability, genetic information, alienage, citizenship, military or veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence/stalking/sex offenses, unemployment status, or any other legally prohibited basis in accordance with federal, state and city laws.