East West Players
Los Angeles, CA
EWP seeks a Director of Development to oversee major gift strategies, grants management, donor database management and research, direct appeal strategies and cultivation and stewardship initiatives. The development department consists of the Director, Development Coordinator, and Grants Consultant. The Department will also work with consultants, as needed, to successfully realize the logistics of and fundraising for its annual event(s) and other fundraising events/activities. The Director and Managing Director will work to determine the best structure for the Department that will help advance this goal in a realistic and efficient manner. On average, the development department is responsible for raising $2 million annually through fundraising events, appeals, individual giving, foundations, and sponsorships. The Director will work closely with the Artistic Director and Managing Director on reaching these fundraising goals.
Over the next 12-18 months, the primary objectives are to strengthen development operations and build a high-performing development team; develop and implement a comprehensive development plan with defined targets and metrics; and diversify and grow fundraising income by developing meaningful relationships with existing EWP donors and manage a team designed to engage new and existing donors in their understanding of EWP’s mission.
The Director should possess a positive, entrepreneurial attitude and be able to successfully lead and work with a diverse staff and Board. This is an externally facing position charged with building ethical, meaningful, and lifelong relationships with donors, patrons, and other key stakeholders. The ideal candidate will be one who has managed and led a development team before. The Director will have experience and knowledge creating fundraising strategies and plans, including capital campaigns, planned giving, grants; securing major gifts; strong written and verbal communication skills and experience working with nonprofit boards.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Create strategy and oversee all individual giving activities including major gift identification, cultivation, and solicitation.
- Possess a portfolio of potential major gift prospects and current donors and activate those relationships consistently throughout the year.
- Oversee EWP’s grants scheduling and management portfolio.
- Work with development team to drive fundraising activity, providing the Artistic Director and Managing Director with the necessary information and tools to succeed in their own outreach.
- Create annual strategy around all event activities including the Gala, cultivation events and donor fulfilment gatherings. Drive fundraising for the Gala to meet revenue goals. Work with special event planning company on other aspects of event.
- Work with the marketing team to create strategy and oversee execution of annual letter, email, and digital appeals.
- Work with team to create annual Development plan, present to leaders and track its execution.
- Create department revenue and expense budgets.
- Work cross-organizationally to create new ways of elevating the organization’s philanthropic messaging in all its programming, printed and digital assets.
- Partner with the Artistic Director and Managing Director in stewarding the Board family, including Board of Directors and Advisory Council.
- Lead development committees (i.e., Development, Gala) and participate in other board committees (Finance, etc.) as needed.
- Prepare and provide regular reports and presentations to the Board of Directors regarding goals and revenue targets, strategies and tactics, and other aspects of the work.
- Assist with other tasks to facilitate the smooth operation of the department to achieve its goals.
Experience and Qualifications:
- A minimum of 5 years of managerial experience directing the efforts of early/mid-career fundraisers. – A Certified Nonprofit Professional or CNP is a plus.
- A track record of personally soliciting and closing individual gifts of $10,000+.
- Experience creating and executing events with 250+ guests.
- Experience with and aptitude for all aspects of donor communications including but not limited to public relations, print and digital media, and events.
- Strong networking skills and a demonstrated ability to develop a good rapport with donors.
- A connection to or knowledge of the LA and/or Southern California philanthropic community is a plus.
- Cultural competency with diverse constituencies across a myriad of ethnicities and nationalities.
- Experience with the Asian American community and organizations is a plus.
- Experience with and aptitude for relational databases, including data entry, tracking, and analyzing data. Knowledge of PatronManager and SalesForce is preferred.
Salary: $80,000 – $90,000/year
100% employer-paid options for medical, dental, and vision insurance; a 403(b) program with employer match, a flexible workplace environment with opportunities for hybrid/remote work as appropriate, and generous paid time off including holidays, sick days, and personal days.
Candidates should email a resume and cover letter in a single PDF file with “Director of Development” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, please.
Incomplete applications will not be considered, and we will respond only to those applications in which we have interest. Interviews will begin during the first week of October.
Hiring Immediately. Applicants are encouraged to submit their materials as soon as they are able, and EWP will review on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
Please visit here for full job description.
An Equal Opportunity Employer:
EWP provides all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
EWP has a strong commitment to equity and representation in our hiring process, as well as in all areas of our work. People of color, LGBTQ+, and women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.