Arts for LA is a voice for the arts in Greater Los Angeles that informs, engages, and mobilizes individuals and organizations to advocate for access to the arts across all communities; arts education for every student; robust investment in the arts; and inclusion of diverse and underrepresented voices. Arts for LA invests in leadership development, growing networks of civically engaged advocates; building deep relationships with elected officials; and working in partnership across sectors to make LA a vibrant, prosperous, creative, and healthy society.
Arts for LA activates artists and organizations, and leads communities to advocate for an equitable, healthy, and creative Los Angeles region.
Statement of Values
Arts for LA believes that by identifying and eliminating barriers to equity, access, and inclusion, all of Los Angeles will thrive. We work to promote policies that uphold these values:
- Everyone deserves a creative voice and access to a variety of cultural and artistic experiences.
- Arts and cultural organizations and artists require a social environment that values and supports their contributions and encourages excellence.
- Arts education is central to the development of all children and to ongoing and creative engagement for people of all ages.
- The breadth, depth, and diversity of its artistic and cultural life are a critical measure of the vitality of Los Angeles, from neighborhood cultural centers to major arts institutions.
- The arts strengthen communities by increasing cultural empathy and fostering civic and public engagement.
Arts for LA Equity Statement
Arts for LA recognizes that our society is challenged to overcome a complex web of inequities – racism, sexism, homophobia, classism, ageism, and ableism among them. All of these forms of discrimination are powerful drivers of unequal individual and group outcomes.
Recognizing that achieving cultural equity is one of today’s most pressing issues, and that advancing equity through a cultural lens will have a significant positive impact on challenging discrimination-based injustices, Arts for LA affirms working for cultural equity in the LA County Arts Sector as one of our organizational priorities.