The Production Coordinator is responsible for assisting in the planning and execution of key production elements of Pacific Symphony concerts which include stage managing, camera operating, and fulfilling departmental tasks as assigned. This position is overseen by the Senior Director of Operations but will work closely on a day-to-day basis with the Director of Production. This position is ideal for someone interested in learning all facets of concert production.
STAGE MANAGEMENT (50%):
- Serve as Stage Manager for orchestral services as assigned by the Director of Production, which
may include the Classics series, Family Musical Morning series, Soka University series, Pacific
Symphony Youth Ensembles concerts, and other events as they occur throughout the season.
- Collaborate with the Director of Production in determining and executing all production elements
associated with the Symphony’s new summer venues for the SummerFest and Symphony in the
- Advance the production needs for assigned concerts: determine audio and lighting needs, create
stage plots, source scenic elements, evaluate instrument needs (percussion, pianos, etc).
- Work closely with the production and technical personnel of each concert venue to communicate
in a timely manner the needs of the orchestra and guest artist(s).
- Liaise with Symphony musicians to resolve issues, fulfill onstage requests, and communicate
information in a professional manner on behalf of the Operations department.
- Recruit, hire, and manage casual labor crews.
- Work with Director of Production on load-ins, load-outs, and set-ups for assigned services.
- Contact vendors to obtain quotes and coordinate delivery for needed gear, services, and
- Co-produce the Symphony on the Go! mobile stage performance series with the Artistic
Coordinator, which includes advancing with city personnel in the planning, stage managing these
chamber performances, and repairing/maintaining the 28ft trailer that folds out into a stage.
- Assist the Director of Production with additional tasks as requested.
SUPPORT FUNCTIONS (50%):
- Assist the Director of Multimedia Operations in live image magnification during performances by
operating a remote camera for assigned concerts.
- Manage guest artist hospitality and serve as a backstage runner for all Pops performances
alongside the Senior Director of Operations.
- Coordinate truck rentals and schedule personnel for truck loads and unloads.
- Troubleshoot Pacific Symphony equipment difficulties and arrange for repairs as needed.
- Research and recommend equipment purchases for the organization.
- Oversee Pacific Symphony’s warehouse organization and maintenance.
- Assist the Director of Orchestra Personnel with the setup and execution of orchestra auditions.
- Provide and/or arrange for occasional airport pickups for guest artists when needed.
- Departmental administrative duties as assigned throughout the season.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- A passion for classical music and the performing arts.
- At least 1 year of live event or theater production experience.
- The ability/willingness to learn to drive trucks up to 26ft.
- A working knowledge of stage lighting, audio, and video.
- Knowledge of orchestral instruments (like percussion) and the ability to read music strongly
- Thrives a fast-paced, creative environment serving conductors, musicians, and stage personnel.
- Solid customer-service skills with ability to work with strong personalities.
- The ability to communicate in a calm, clear, and professional manner under pressure.
- Quick thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage own time efficiently.
- The willingness to work long hours on feet (often outdoors), nights, and weekends.
- The physical ability to load cases (at least 50 lb) on and off of trucks as needed, occasionally
- An ability to maintain a professional attitude when the going gets tough.
- Must be a team player with the willingness to jump in and help colleagues.
Benefits: Part-time employees regularly scheduled to work at least 30 hours per week are eligible for pro-rated
holiday, pro-rated floating and personal days, vacation and sick pay (based on the individual’s normal basic schedule) medical insurance and 401(k) benefits. Complimentary tickets.
To Apply, please email your resume and cover letter to Bella Sunshine, Senior Director of Operations – BSunshine@pacificsymphony.org by December 15, 2023.
No phone calls please